Friday, August 29, 2014

Adler Sew Along - Week 2

It's the best part of any Sew/Knit Along: RESULTS!

Adler Shirtdress



This was, by far, the most difficult sewing project I've ever tackled. I was glad to have Jen's super-helpful sew along instructions to refer to as I went through the project. Pattern assembly was going well until I got to attaching the collar. Here's a visual representation of how I felt about that process:

"I'm just going to Chippendale it and call it a day"
It was a matter of my brain not understanding the instructions OR the tutorial. This can be a real low point for any crafter. If you can't figure it out from two different resources, you start to panic a little bit. Usually, the best thing to do is to take a break, text your sew-along buddies and get some air. Unfortunately, it was almost midnight on a Wednesday and I really wanted to get through at least the collar and hem before bed.

Fortunately, I had decided to start my annual fall re-watch of my beloved Friday Night Lights. Right when I was about to throw in the proverbial towel, Coach Taylor was there to remind me that football doesn't build character, it reveals it. I wasn't about to let Coach down by giving up! I powered through and somehow got that thing attached after another 30 minutes of muttering to myself.

So, you can thank the Dillon Panthers for this dress, is basically what I'm saying.

"Clear eyes, steady hands, can't lose" - Crafty Night Lights
Droopy = unimpressed


I got a hair cut! Surprise!
In the end, it was worth it. I love how it turned out and can't believe my luck with the fabric choice. I went with Allyson to Kalamazoo, Michigan on a hunt for bargains at the Field's Fabric tent sale earlier this summer and we bought the fabric for this project together. Hers turned out beautifully and, I have to say, so did mine! I've been privy to a sneak preview from Katie, and (spoiler alert) we all pretty much crushed this project. Stay tuned for Katie's progress next week and brace yourself to be super impressed with this trifecta of style and talent. 

2 comments:

  1. It looks AMAAAAZING Laura! And you are gorgeous! Way to stick it out through the collar attachment. Coach Taylor would indeed be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute!! I love love love that fabric, such a great choice for the full-skirted option.

    ReplyDelete